Friday, June 09, 2006

I don't know Dutch

dateline -- amsterdam (10:26 am)

Let's start with what they call and "aside".

After thinking that I had realized that the real reason that Aer Lingus was so dirt cheap was because their flights are never on time and you just get what you pay for, I heard the news that al Zarqawi was killed. The headline on the front page of The Sun read, "Beast al Zaqawi blasted to death in hideout." those brits sure don't hold back, huh? My guess know is that is also the reason for the increased security in the airports I noticed. Just a hunch, though. So, I'll give Aer Lingus a pass ... for now.

Back to the real story ...

This city is too funny. it just brings out the funiest stuff in people ... at least funny to me. yesteray evening I stopped in to Dampkring. Gram of Kali Mist. Probably the end of my ganga buying until I leave for Germany (can't do it like the old days, and two grams in two days of this stuff is just plenty) walked back up to leidsplein. wanted to grab a chair outside on the square and roll up the green. as I walk through to the door of the Bulldog, on my way to buy some juice, the 1st thing I hear is "USA!" This guy has the only empty chair outside at his table, so I join him.

Jim, from California, this is his 4th world cup and 5th time to amsterdam! After Jim took a puff on his pipe, and I enjoyed some of the best veed that amsterdam has to offer (damkring is class A), we talk about soccer and how people overseas feel about the united states and what the reaction will be at our games (he's going to all three). then he lets me know that he has already fucked two hookers (one in the afternoon and one a night) and been thrown in jail for being too drunk. AND HE HAS ONLY BEEN HERE FOR TWO DAYS. Way to go Jim! He also tells me that they are setting up two big screens in the square to watch the 1st night of the tournament. So that is definitely where I will be tonight.

After that I wondered around for a bit, got chased by a bum who wouldn't leave me alone until I gave him some money, ate some some of the famous patat frite (french fries), and called it a night. It was only 8 pm, but I had been up for 28 hours straight.

ONE DONE ... EIGHT TO GO!

This morning I awoke at 6 am, fully rested after 10 full hours of sleep, ready to explore. I walked down to Central Station and got my rail pass validated. I also checked to find out which platform my 7:13 am (yargh!) train leaves tomorrow. I then walked over to Barney's for some breakfast. To my full surprise, it was empty . This place is always jammed and I was fully ready for at least a 10 minute wait to get a seat. Got an omelettee, did a joint of rookies mixed with kali mist and chowed down. It was delicious. After breakfast, on my out out. I met a kid from LA (didn't catch his name) who is doing a documentary of his own ... he and his pals are going to smoke an ounce of weed today ... and document it. At least that's what he said. I will give him credit though, he did have a whole eighth of herb rolled up on one huge spliff (I got a great picture), so he may be telling the truth. I may go back later and check in on their progress. I think I am going to get a t shirt from this place (either them or dampkring).

This being the first day of the world's great sporting event, the papers where jacked full of nothing but coverage. If it weren't for the death of one of the more well' nown terrorists in the entire world, the front page would have been nothing but world cup coverage (from a violently blatent british viewpoint) But the brits do quality journalism, sleezy, but very high quality.

Some things that stood out ... three full pages of the wayne rooney being cleared to play, a full page on the opening game tonight, a 20-page pullout of everything you could think of relating to the tournament, and some news that over 150 FIFA blacklisted english hooligans were on their way to germany, after sneaking through customs (hooligans are big business in europe).

News affecting the Amercian's ... Apparently, Reading (newly promoted to the English Premier League) are after young U.S center back Oguchi Onyewu. American midfielder Bobby Convey, ... formerly of DC United ... and American Goalkeeper Marcus Hannennman both play at Reading. But now there is news that another Premiership club, Fulham (where American forward Brian McBride plays) wants Onyewu as well. Looks like a battle brewing for Guch, an Olney, Md native. Also word that the Italians are staying in some crappy german hotel (most teams are staying at 5-star kind of places or even secluding themselves at the most exclusive resorts throughout the country). If you are not familiar with the story ... basically the Italian Futbol Federation is in the midst of what could be their biggest scandal ever. And that is saying a lot. Always lots of shady dealings in Serie A (the Italian 1st Division). Delving even deeper into this story though, we could find some negative effects on the Americans chances of advancing out of the group. In 1982, with their soccer federation in shambles after a scandal rocked the country, the Italian team bonded together and went out and won the World Cup. Yikes!

This might be the last post for at least 24 hours (probably more). Next one will be the 1st from German soil!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home