Sunday, June 11, 2006

Matchday Morning

dateline -- Leipzig -- 8:40 am

When I last left you, I couldn´t believe the amount of Orange in this city ... Well, it has about doubled since then. The Dutch have simply taken over this small, formerly East German city. THEY ARE EVERYONE, and everywhere they are, there is singing and dancing and horn blowing and, of course, tons of beer drinking.

How about little Trinidad & Tobago holding the mighty Swedes to a scoreless draw? The atmosphere during that match in Augustusplatz was really cool. EVERYONE was going bonkers for T&T. The underdog brings people together.

After that match ended, I wondered around with some of the Dutchmen that I met on the train. Yesterday, I had run into them in the square. We found the closest biergarten and partook in the great german culture of drinking huge biers and spilling them all over each other in the process. Afterwards, we headed back to Augustusplatz to watch the Argentina-Ivory Coast match. On my way there I stopped and bought a USA t-shirt. I need to represent ... everyone else is. And let me tell you this: I'd bet any amount of money that you could count the number of Americans in this city right now on one hand ... and I am one of them ... crazy.

Argentina made quite a statement with their win ... they looked very tough. How about all of those shots of MARADONA? That dude is nuts! It looked like he was going to have a heart attack everytime they showed him.

After a few more liters of pils, I headed back to the hostel and passed out around 2 am. Needless to say, there was screaming, dancing, and horn blowing into the wee hours of the morning -- pretty much all night.

This morning I was up at 6:30 am. I headed over the stadium to see what it was like before everyone got there. i got some great footage -- and might have figured out a way to get the camera into the game ... We shall see about that though.

The best part of the morning was what happened next. As I wandered around the city center I happened upon the team bus of the Netherlands, and caught a glimpse of Head Coach Marco Van Basten on his way into the team hotel ... Pretty damn cool.

Kickoff is in just about 6 hours ... I will have a full report at some point soon.

BTW, my comcast blog is up and running ... check it out at

www.comcastsportsnet.com

And please don´t mind the hideous picture of me on the site. How stoned do I look in that picture? Did they do that on purpose???

hahahahahahahaha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home