Sunday, June 11, 2006

Nothing like it ...

dateline -- Leipzig -- 6:45 pm

I know I just checked in a few hours ago, but I have to get this one up before I depart tomorrow, which will be a day without the Internet. After I got off the computer earlier, I had a chat with a Dutchman, who told me about the Oranje Supporters Gathering that was already going on ... and that at the end of it, the entire oranje army marches to stadium together. I WAS NOT MISSING THIS.

When I got there, I was blown away. Just one big party ... probably about 30,000 people crammed into a small square -- all of them drinking, singing, dancing, and just plain old having a good fucking time. I figured if there was a place in Germany to smoke the joints I had brought from Amsterdam, this was it ... and the Dutch were all about it. One guy even asked me if I had bought the veed at Dampkring ... how crazy is that? So after about 2 hours of boozin', we began our march to Zentral Stadion. It was about a mile and again, all we did was sing and dance the whole way there. Once inside the stadium, I made my way to my seat, right smack dab in the middle of the oranje! Once again, for two hours before the match even began, all we did was sing and dance ... and drink!

The actual match was one to remember. Arjen Robben struck in the 18th minute for the only goal, and the Dutch held on for the 1-nil win! Three points in the bag and tied at the top of the "group of death" with Argentina.

Now my focus shifts to the beloved Red, White, and Blue. I have decided to get to Gelsenkirchen as early as possible to soak up as much atmosphere as I can, because I have quickly learned, that is what this tournament is all about. I know our party tomorrow will not compare with what I have experienced here in Leipzig with the Oranje, but it will be a blast. It will be great to finally be able to communicate with people and to be an American again (my Dutch accent is getting really strong).

Now for the biggest deal of them all ... I GOT THE VIDEO CAMERA INTO THE MATCH. Just wait until you see this footage, and of course, the footage of the pregame party. You will not believe your eyes. There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- in American sports that compares to what I have experienced today. I have been to the Final Four, which is the closest thing I would compare it to, in terms of the different people coming together in a party atmosphere centered around sports. Well, the Final Four is a daycare center compared to this, my friends!

Watch out world ... the Americans are coming ... tomorrow we shock the world .... again!

PS - I gotta give a shout to my man Ariel Agami for holding it down and posting my blogs while I have been in Leipzig. For some reason, I donĀ“t have the ability to do it from the computers here at the hostel, so big ups to my man from NYC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home